Sunday, June 22, 2008

an hour early..



so i am in dubai.. and i had my watch set an hour early.


I was all ready and packed to head to the airport and what do i find out.. we arnt leaving for an hour.. this is kinda bad, as it gives me time to think.. and i dont want to do that yet as i have 8hrs plus on a plane ahead of me to think all i like..

Today has been a great day. I arrived in Dubai yesterday afternoon, and after an emotional leave from afghanistan. The security leaving is very intense but kinda all show. I went through 6ish cheakpoints, being frisked, having my bags cheaked, scanned, etc etc. untill i was finally on the plane. The funniest thing was as you walk along the tarmac to the plane you have to go over to the pile of luggage on the ground and point out your bag for them to put inside the plane.. Afghanistan is an amazingly bizaar country.

My day today has been one of relaxing and catching up on the internet. I spent the morning chilling and loading photos on facebook of some of our afghan adventures. I watch some DVD's with Julie then we went to the beach.. This wasnt any ordinary beach... today i was im the Arab Gulf.. how cool is that! actually the water was pretty warm, but it was a strange experience. The water was so dense from all the salt, and you floated so easy. I was so flat aswell, with no waves at all. It was beautiful..

then we came home and i watched Becoming Jane -the movie. Julie loves all those movies and BBC tv shows set in the Jane Austen era, and it was a lovely way to chill the evening away. It was after this as went to finish packing that i realised i was an hour ahead of myself, and the revelation that in the morning i will be in London.

I did hit a bit of culture shock this afternoon, as i felt very uncomfortable being outside in shorts and my bikini. Very afghan un-appropriate. and also forgot to put on my seatbelt, something you never wear in afghanistan, i have also found myself constantly bringing up stories from afghanistan, and the afghan culture..
That nation has definatly stolen a piece of my heart.. and i love it..

No comments: